Friday, January 11, 2013

STEP 3: Planning a Healthy Diet

Well, I actually didn't have any coffee yet today (and it's almost 1:00 p.m.) only because I was so tired that I slept late, and then woke up to find that I have no sugar and no milk...so as you can imagine, my head hurts quite a bit. I will probably end up getting a medium at Dunkin' Donuts, and leave it at that for the day. Maybe start each day with just a cup of coffee. Anyhoo....

Now that you know I have no sugar or milk, you can probably surmise that it's that time of the week to put together a shopping list. We enjoyed a little take-out night last night, and that will serve as our restaurant night (we ordered Chinese, which we haven't done in ages!) I also drank some of my husband's IPA's....which were disgusting, but anyway, booze night is out of the way as well. Note to self: as good as the food was, and with Chinese food leftovers for lunch today, I feel about 10 times more like I got hit by a bus today. Just keep that in mind... :(

I have dusted off the old recipe books and now I am about to go shopping.


I will be back shortly.................

I'm back!! :D

Now that I look at the receipt, I really didn't plan out the next week too well. It's not a really bad thing, I mean, we did get a lot of good, healthy stuff. But I am not exactly sure that I will be able to use all the recipes I put together for the week without having to go out again. When I sat down today and tried to figure out what I was going to make for the week, I was not feeling well at all. It definitely had to be because of the Chinese food we had last night and over the course of the day today, and we didn't have a lot of other food in the house at the time. So I went to the supermarket feeling very irritated, and I wasn't able to think clearly. I am certain that once I start exercising and I have more time to plan this stuff out, this will change a great deal. In the meantime, at least I have healthy stuff in the house!

Also, now that we are going to be getting a lot of produce, I am thinking about making the extra trip to a local farmer's market. Our grocery bill has never been this high before, and we are only a household of 3. I know it can get expensive to eat right, but geez...or maybe it's time to start shopping somewhere else.


One of the big things about eating healthy for me, and a lot of people will agree, is that you can't tell yourself "I can't eat this ________." This will make you want to eat it more than anything, and that will usually end with me eating 3 of whatever it was I said I couldn't eat. That's why I don't have a "last fatty meal" or "say goodbye to bad food." It's always going to be there to have if I really want it. I just have to approach it with a rational mind (something I gain through mental preparation) and say "you know, I could eat this. Do I want to eat it?" (Notice I emphasize the I). The unthinking mind might say yes, but the mind that is prepared to face such a challenge will usually have no second thoughts about saying no, and move on.

However, on the rare occasion that I really am having trouble turning something down, plan B is usually to find something to pre-occupy myself. One of the best ways to do this is to find something healthy to do. I did the same thing when I was quitting smoking, and I had an overwhelming urge to smoke. The first option would usually be to take a walk or go to the gym. Now that I will have the elliptical machine in my living room, I have that open to me as well. When I keep myself busy doing something beneficial to my health, that in itself is usually enough to quash the craving. Another thing I've found that helps a lot is to chew gum. I have gone through a loooot of gum during my weight-loss efforts. This was always my favorite:


If it was not enough and I ended up eating whatever it was I wanted to eat, I would need to remember that the all-or-nothingi mentality would destroy all my hard work, and I couldn't allow that to happen. That is obviously going to be the ultimate challenge for me once I lose the weight.


The Chinese food is done and gone, the good food is in the house, and I am going to be working on my portion sizes. Once I start blogging about how things are going, I vow to be 100% honest about my struggle (or maybe, although unlikely, no-struggle). I have kept my bad eating habits a secret for too long, and I know that it does not help me to hide anything, including from myself. Having this online where the public can see it will help me stay true to myself and push me to follow through  with it. I will be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment